Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Senior Projects 2017

Each year, Greensboro Day School seniors embark on a 4-week senior project or internship ranging from a wide variety of professions. This year, students have chosen to work with non-profits, in the medical field, small business owners, event planning, real estate, education, land development, video production, and much more.

Not only do students come away from these projects with hands-on work experience, they are using interpersonal skills, showing and learning responsibility with their assignments and working as part of a team, trying new things, and learning first-hand about problem-solving and flexibility.

Kelsey Weissburg chose to complete her senior project with the United Way of Greater Greensboro. 

In a recent blog post, she shared "One of my tasks today was to fill bags with a few books for various elementary schools in Guilford County. United Way and agencies linked with United Way have donated these books to schools who are lacking a surplus of books for their young students. I also put together bins and placed the "United Way" label on them. Some of the "Book Bags" also included educational flash cards for younger students. We are sending these bags of books to Archer, Foust, Jones, and Wiley Elementary Schools.

It feels good to know that packing books into hundreds of bags, a mindless task, is helping to educate young students in the Greensboro area. It's cool to think that thousands of words will be learned by a couple hundred students from reading these books. It shows how important books are in educating our community's youth."


John Ball's senior project is titled The Art and Mathematics Inside a Grand Piano. He is working at a piano restoration company.

Recently, he posted "My project is centered on the construction and maintenance of grand pianos. There are a myriad of intricate parts that go into a grand piano, and diagnosing, tuning and repairing a grand involves a wide array of problem solving skills.  My goal for the project is to utilize the skills I have learned in applied physics and mathematics and take them into real world practice. Additionally, I aim to develop my engineering skills as well as my woodworking abilities, which are necessities outside of the classroom. I also am very excited to learn about my own piano, so that I could potentially tune and fix it myself. I look forward to sharing my experiences in the weeks to come!"

Caroline Moore is learning the art of baking at Green Valley Grill and Print Works Bistro. 

Her post before Mothers' Day explained, "The past few days in the pastry kitchen have been hard work, but fun (and yummy) work. I have now gotten fairly used to the kitchen and it has made it easier to get around and complete my tasks quicker.

Each day is super busy, but this week especially because we were preparing for Mother's Day weekend. I come in and Erin (my supervisor) always has a list of tasks for me that day. I was able to make Pistachio Macaroons with chocolate icing in the middle, which we dipped in white chocolate so they had a little chocolate stand. A lot of what we made and prepared this week, we are sending over to Print Works Bistro for their Mother's Day Buffet.

I continue to learn new things every day and can't wait for more!"

Make plans to attend the Senior Project Showcase on Thursday, June 1 beginning at 6:30 p.m. The event will begin in the Bengal Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment